Friday, July 18, 2008

Jaluit, Jaluit!


7-3-08
By Adam Schaefers

I'm finally in Jaluit Jaluit. I have been here for three days now, since July 1st. God's timing in all of this has been nothing less than perfect.

After Kealoha took the plane to the Majuro hospital I was told by Captain Meoshi that he had set up a ride for me to go to the other side of the island (Jaluit Jaluit). I packed and left Jabor that same hour.

The truck dropped me off (for free) at Benji's house and they were so excited to see me. We talked story "Bwebwenato" for a while, and then loaded all my stuff into a wheelbarrow! I pushed it a mile down the beach all the way to the end of the island where my host family lives. We (benjit Rosbie came too) surprised my host family and they were all smiles and stoked that I was finally there! Also a good friend from last time was there. They immediately cooked up a bunch of rice and tuna fish. We sat down and ate and got caught up to speed on the latest happenings.

It turns out they were basically out of food! They had no rice or flour and had eaten all the breadfruit and bananas. All they had left is coconut and whatever they catch in the ocean. You should have seen the smiles on the kids faces and the “thank you’s” from the adults - They were so happy to have a solid meal.

Life here in Jaluit is rough. I'm sure the Revolution Hawaii boys will tell you all about it when they return. I have to go soon as my neighbor Ilon is coming over to teach me Marshallese.

I have decided that I will be happy about my trip and consider it a success if two things happen:
1. That I be an encouragement and a blessing to my Corps. (It's easy to get down and depressed being so extremely isolated).
2. That I model an example of the Christian life of holiness, love, humility, and servanthood incarnationally among my host family. (I do not think they are all Christians...from what I have seen already, it seems the general consensus is that a Christian is simply someone who does not smoke, drink, or wear earrings, tattoos, etc! A huge misconception.

I miss you guys. I miss home. Pray for me out here. I give my testimony this upcoming Sunday.

2 comments:

Major Chuck said...

That's awesome. I don't know you and you don't know me, but I lived in RMI for 4 years. I've been to the places you named. Did you go to Imiej? That's another cool place on the atoll.

Many blessings. I only saw your post today. I hope you will post more about your experience. I miss my friends. Benji's smile is worth the price to fly there.

Adam Schaefers said...

This blog address has changed: See http://www.yoadam.com for the latest info and more pictures. Thanks- Adam